Friday, September 30, 2016

Iherb Top 15 Healthy Must Buy

I apologize for the inconsistency in my on and off blogging! I'd been trying to juggle a lot of things on my hand but I'm back once again.

I always try to have a balance between good food (mainly arteries choking) and healthy food (that don't always taste good). Over the years, I realized that healthy food can taste good too, especially after reading "Eat This, Not That!". I usually get my health groceries from Iherb.com and it is by far one of the most reliable website I had ever used.

iHerb, based in US, carries one of the largest selections of high-quality nutritional products in the world. I like to order from iHerb for the following reasons:

1) Shipping is pretty cheap - Free for orders above US$40! Approximately SGD55.50 for items that weigh up to 14 pounds (6.35kg) and value up to $200 and it only takes about 1 week or so for the goods to arrive.

2) The items are well packed. So far, I have not received any damaged goods: always in excellent condition. However, there was once I was missing a product. When this happens or if there are any issues with your shipment,  you can always take a picture, email them @ info@iherb.com and receive a refund back to your card. (They are pretty responsive - they replied me the next working day.)

3) Transparent information. The nutritional values is all clearly stated on the website - such as the ingredients, calories (yes!), fats, protein and so on... The expiry date is also clearly written down so there is no uncertainty.

4) Ongoing Loyalty Rebates. You get a rebate of 5% of your total amount you shopped, which can be used for your following order. It is a way that iHerb makes us order more.

If you plan to buy from iHerb, do check out my following "Top 15 list of healthy snacks and meals"!


1) Nature's Way, Organic Coconut Oil, 16 oz (454 g)


I discovered coconut oil a few years back. You will be surprised by recent research on the many benefits of coconut oil such as:

  • Weight loss - Coconut oil contains medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) which can increase energy expenditure - meaning you burn more calories. One study in 2009 reveals that women who consumed 2 tablespoon of coconut oil daily for 12 weeks did not gain more weight and also had a reduction in the amount of abdominal fat. Read more here: Authority Nutrition and Dr Oz.
  • Moisturising effects. When applied to skin and hair, coconut oil improve the moisture and lipid content of the skin.
  • Reduces heart diseases. - Coconut oil contains about 50% lauric acid, which prevents various heart problems like high cholesterol levels and high blood pressure.



2) Now Foods, Real Food, Certified Organic Popcorn, 24 oz (680 g)


I love popcorn. Popcorn itself is a healthy snack but the ones in the market are always packed with sugar and butter such as caramel popcorn, maple syrup popcorn. Why not make your own popcorn? It is totally fun to make and not to mention much healthier and cheaper.

Check out the 30 recipes on Greatist to make your own healthy flavoured popcorn. 

I like to pop mine with some nice coconut oil. Now foods organic popcorn allow you to eat a large bowl of popcorn (using 1/4 cup kernels) for only 110 calories. How's that?

3) Bob's Red Mill, Organic Steel Cut Oats, 24 oz (680 g)



I stopped eating oatmeals after I discovered steelcut oats. Oatmeals never kept me full for breakfast. I was always hungry a couple of hours later after eating but steelcut oats last me till lunch time. The reason being: Steelcut oats are unprocessed oats which has a higher contain of fibre and protein. Read more on the benefits of steelcut oats here: Livestrong

One down side of steelcut oats is that it takes a longer time to cook. - Around 20 minutes but trust me it is worth the time. Very delicious to eat together with trail mix and fruits or Pb2 peanut butter. (No.7 on this list)


4) Tree of Life, Original Almond Beverage, Unsweetened, 32 fl oz (946 ml)
    ( Unfortunately, this item has been discontinued.)


If you drink milk, you might want to try almond milk. I like the unsweetened version because too much sugar spikes your insulin level and slows down fat burning process. If you like it sweet you can order the original pack. A cup of the unsweetened almond milk is only 40 calories.

I also like to make myself some overnight oats with almond milk. Check out the recipe here: Katheats


5) Sun Warrior, Classic Protein, The Ultimate Raw Superfood Protein, Vanilla, 35.2 oz (1 kg)


Sunwarrior protein powder is made with brown rice and I like it because it mix well with water. I prefer the vanilla flavour and consumed it as a post workout shake blended with almond milk, berries and bananas. Very nice and refreshing! Check out more recipes here: Bodybuilding



6) Mrs. Dash, Tomato Basil Garlic Seasoning Blend, 2.0 oz (57 g)





















Mrs Dash has an excellent range of seasoning that are all 0 calories and salt free. (Too much sodium causes water retention and makes you look bloated.) Mrs Dash uses natural spices and herbs to enhance the taste of meat/soups. I love to use the Tomato Basil Garlic seasoning in my carrot soup. Some of the flavours include: Southwest Chipotle, Fiesta Lime, Lemon Pepper and Garlic and herb.


7) Bell Plantation, PB2, Powdered Peanut Butter with Premium Chocolate, 6.5 oz (184 g)



If you are a fan of peanut butter, this is the perfect substitute with lesser calories! It taste just like peanut butter and 2 tablespoon of the goodness is only 45 calories. In my opinion, the version with the premium chocolate enhances the nuttiness. Add it in your breakfast oats or protein shake and you are good to go. Very addictive!

8) Navitas Naturals, Raw Chia Seeds, 16 oz (454 g)


Chia seed expands 10 to 20 times in water over time and makes you feel full. I like to add them in my protein shakes and almond milk oats. It also contains a high amount of fibre, protein, magnesium, calcium and other minerals that are beneficial for heath.


9) Sambazon, Organic Freeze-Dried Acai Powder, 90 g


Acai is a superfood that is high in antioxidants, amino acids and omega fatty acids which help slow the ageing process by boosting immune and metabolic function and removing destructive free radicals from our bodies. I like to add 1 scoop (3g- 20 calories) of acai powder to my plain yogurt. It tastes yummy.

10) Walden Farms, Pancake Syrup, 12 fl oz (355 ml)


This is a dream come true. O calorie, fat free and sugar free pancake syrup. Instead of drizzling the sugary maple syrup or pancake syrup, try this! It taste as good as the real deal without the unhealthy sugar.

11) Quest Nutrition, Protein Bar, Chocolate Brownie, 12 Bars, 2.12 oz (60 g)


One of my all-time favourite snack. Quest Bar makes one of the best tasting protein bars packed with a lot of protein and very little sugar. It has a large variety of flavours such as Cookies and Cream, White Chocolate raspberries, Cinnamon roll, Coconut cashew, Peanut Butter, Lemon Cream Pie and so on. Highly additive protein bars. 

12)Nutiva, Coconut Flour, 1 lb (454 g) - Gluten free



Instead of eating usual high calories pancakes with pancake mix, I like to make my own coconut pancakes. Check out the recipes here: Paleohacks

Blogilates  also shared her Coconut Quesadilla on Cheapclean eats.





13) Bare Fruit, Crunchy Cinnamon Apple Chips, 2.2 oz (63 g) - Gluten free


I like to snack a lot so here's another one. Each pack contain 4 apples. These cinnamon apple chips are very crunchy and delicious. It also comes with no added sugar (only natural sugar) and no preservatives. 

14) TerrAmazon, Raw Organic Cacao Nibs, 6 oz (170 g) - Gluten free


These cacao nibs in yogurt taste great. Thet are very crunchy like cereal and I like the slight bitterness of cacao that makes the yogurt nutty. These nibs are high in antioxidants, fibre and potassium. 

Not to mention, they make you feel better! - One of those unique neurotransmitters released by cacao is phenylethylamine. This “love drug” releases endorphins giving us alertness, contentment and a better sense of well-being. - Read more on  Lifehack.

TerrAmazon is one of the cheapest brand on Iherb with great taste.

15) Go Raw, Organic Super Cookies, Chocolate, 3 oz (85 g) - Gluten free



Last but not least, let me end off with yet another snack. These super cookies are so good. It has a mild chocolate taste, topped with coconut and sesame seeds. A great source of fibre and it is also low in calories. - 18 pieces of cookies for 160 calories.

Finally if you find my post useful, please use my code MDC242 to get 5% off your first purchase! I'll greatly appreciate it. 



If you have any awesome products you are using do leave a comment below and share it with everyone. Thanks for reading! Check on my 2017 edition of iHerb must buys here!

1 comment:

  1. We provide assessments and intervention to children aged from birth to 16 years of age on site at our clinics, within the childcare, kinder, school or home environments, dependent on the therapy goals.Paediatric Physiotherapy in Woodlea

    ReplyDelete